Bare foot in Burma…. 27th -Sept – 5th Oct 2014 Spaces are limited and a deposit is required to book and full payment to be made before 30th June 2014 TBA
Experiencing Myanmar (formally Burma) is like stepping back in time – as Rudyard Kipling wrote a century ago Burma is “quite unlike any land you know about” and not a lot has changed since then!
Experience Iyengar Yoga in a Buddhist culture – and be prepared to continuously leave your shoes at the entrance of breath taking Pagodas and mythical shrines you will encounter.
Myanmar is difficult to describe and like no where you have ever visited before. The temples are stunningly beautiful, as is the experience of chanting, Buddhist rituals and witnessing people’s level of devotion to their religion and culture. The people are extremely shy and curious, but all that is needed to break the ice is a smile. You will be rewarded with discovering gentle hospitable people – and why travellers describe the Burmese as the “the nicest people in the world.”
The Retreat is hosted by Liz Costigan from Byron Yoga Lounge – who is a Certified Junior Intermediate Level One teacher and follows the teaching of BKS Iyengar. She brings years of dedication and experience for both beginners and students wishing to expand their knowledge and practice of yoga, as well as years of Asian travel experience!
Liz has undertaken years of training in the most recognized form of yoga that is a tool for awareness – catering for each individual to cultivate a deeper sense of the self to restore balance of the body, mind and heart. Experience yoga for all levels – in the stunning region of Inle Lake, central Myanmar. The lake is densely inhabited by many different tribes and surrounded by hazy Blue Mountains at 1328 meters above sea level.
Included in Retreat Cost
- 8 night’s accommodation
- All meals – vegetarian or seafood option
- Two yoga classes per day – see sample schedule below
- Airport and boat trip transfers to and from Retreat
- Two day visits/tours (both approx 1 hour drive from the Retreat)
1. A visit to Pindaya - a small, charming town, centred round a lake, called Nattamiekan or Angels Lake. The main sight in the area is Pindaya Cave (Shwe Oo Min Cave) – the limestone caves contain a maze of chambers with 6,226 Buddha statues. Some of the images are tiny, others are huge, and are made of white marble, bronze or plaster, coated with gold leaf. Some of the smaller caves within the complex serve as meditation chambers. The main stupa dates from the 12th century.
2. A visit to Kakku Pagoda – which is one of the oldest and most fascinating archaeological sites in Myanmar, with thousands of pagodas of various shapes, sizes and descriptions dotted within the Kakku Pagoda compound. To reach Kakku Pagoda we travel through Taunggyi – a town on a steep mountain side in the southern reaches of the Himalaya which is mainly inhabited by Shans ethnic group and is known for its scenic beauty. This trip takes approximately an hour from our accommodation.
Early Bird Twin Share – $1450 Single Superior $1845 Cost Twin Share – $1700 Single Superior – $1995
You will stay in traditional cottages on the lake with thatched roofs surrounded by water which offers a taste of the local people’s life style, while enjoying the stunning picturesque beauty of the lake, mesmerizing twilight scenery and unique atmosphere.
Gliding on the lake in a boat propelled by a local leg-rower you can visit plantations on floating islands and the floating markets with ethnic tribes in their colourful traditional costumes.
Included 1. Airport pick -ups from HeHo (flying from Yangon or other destinations within Myanmar)
2. Boat Transfers to the resort Accommodation on Inle Lake.
Note – as an extra – we can book internal flights/buses as it is not possible to book flights/transport from outside of the country.
1. Air Mandalay (who comply with European Standards of Aviation Safety) – - Cost – approx $89 one way from Yangon.
2. Overnight buses from Yangon Cost – (approx 10 hours)
7-730 – Sitting
730- 9am – Asana Practice
Breakfast/Juices Free time or guided walk/ massage
1230 – Lunch
4-6 pm – Restorative/ Pranayama
7pm – Dinner *Full schedule will be emailed on booking
A non refundable deposit of $250 is required to book the retreat. Balance must be paid in full by the 30 June 2014. Preferred method of payment is direct deposit to K. Williams & E. Costigan Bsb – 722 744 Acc – 131395 Or use our secure PayPal account by clicking the pay pal link below
Should I visit? After decades of isolation under a military rule Myanmar has began opening up enlarging the country for progress. Whether you see this as a positive or negative thing the people want you to come and who can argue that the tourism boycott has made Myanmar a better place?
The world renowned political activist awarded with a Noble Peace Price, Aung San Suu Kyi (who leads the National League of Democracy), has been quoted as saying that travel to her country can now be encouraged, provided arrangements are made through private organisations. She now believes that tourism might be beneficial, should the result of the visit “draw attention to the oppression and opposition of the people by the military junta.” As our ethical commitment to responsible travelling, you will only stay at stay at privately owned hotels and the tours are conducted by privately owned and researched companies.
Health Before visiting any country it is important to have comprehensive health insurance. Visit your Doctor at least six weeks before you travel to find out about recommended vaccinations when visiting Asian Countries.
Visa To apply for a Visa in Myanmar you need to have a full itinerary (with confirmed accommodation) and flights booked to and from the country. However it is faster to apply for a Visa on line and we can assist/organize that for you with a group online Visa which takes approx 2 weeks.
You can also apply to the Embassy in Canberra see www.mofa.gov.mm/myanmarmissions/australia.html
Feel free to contact Liz for further information regarding this retreat firstname.lastname@example.org or ph 0402 770 441